Chief Executive Officer since 5 April 2016
Skills and experience:
Joe’s career started with Procter & Gamble and Dixons Carphone. He later took on leadership roles and in 2004 was appointed as Head of HSBC’s Retail and Commercial Bank in the UK. In 2014 he became Chief Executive Officer of Openreach, BT’s Infrastructure division.
Joe became Nationwide Building Society’s Chief Executive Officer in April 2016, inspired by the Society’s principle of mutuality. Since then, the Society has grown its membership to a record 16.3 million, delivered £2.48 billion in member financial benefit and continued to lead its peers on customer service.
Joe’s mission continues to be to inspire colleagues to remain true to the Society’s social purpose, using the power of the collective to improve people’s lives.
Other current positions:
- Director, UK Finance
- Member, Financial Conduct Authority Practitioner Panel
- Chair and Trustee, British Triathlon Trust
- Member, Economic Crime Strategy Board
- Co-chair, Inclusive Economy Partnership Financial Capability and Inclusion Steering Committee
Previous positions include:
- CEO, Openreach
- Deputy CEO, HSBC Bank plc
- Head, HSBC’s UK Retail and Commercial Business
- Non-executive director, Financial Ombudsman Service