Contents insurance

Contents insurance covers the cost of replacing your possessions if they’re damaged, destroyed or stolen. It can include everything you’d take with you if you moved home. So that means everything from your furniture to your kitchen appliances, and from your computing equipment to your jewellery. 

Most contents insurance policies cover damage to your possessions as a result of disasters like flood, storm and fire, as well as burst pipes and theft.

What should I look for in contents insurance?

This generally covers you against the cost of any one-off incident that damages your possessions.

If the damaged item is part of a set or suite and it can’t be repaired or replaced, this covers the cost of replacing the matching items too.

This covers your personal possessions like cameras, laptops and mobile phones while they’re out of the home.

This covers individual items of particular high value, such as jewellery and watches.

This covers garden furniture and ornaments. Some policies also include cover for damage to plants, as well as theft from sheds and outbuildings.

If your keys are lost or stolen, this covers the cost of replacing the locks in your home.

This covers office equipment used in your home in connection with your job, for example, computers and printers.

This covers you for any legal claim for damages made against you as a result of death or injury of any person, or their property, whilst in your home.

This covers the cost of replacing any food that’s spoiled after a fridge or freezer fails or breaks down.

This is an emergency number you can call if there’s damage at your house that needs fixing as quickly as possible.

More valuable than you think

The Association of British Insurers has calculated that the average value of contents in a three-bedroom family home is around £55,000.

[Source: Association of British Insurers (ABI) website]